Everyone loves a winner


You're a "W"inner! Source

It's true, there's nothing sad about that great author who scored a top agent quickly followed by a three book deal after winning a contest. Unless, of course, you thought about entering said contest and chickened out at the last minute.

The writing community is awesome and one of the things it does better than anyone is supporting others with great contests. The problem I often see is that people don't know contests are happening or only find out about them after the submission window is closed. I hate when that happens!

So, I'm going to try to do my part.

I've started a new page on this blog labeled Contests. My goal is to keep this updated with all the contests I come across while procrastinating researching on the internet. For now, I plan to limit this to contests that have agent and/or editor components. There are hundreds of contests every week for books that I could never keep up with. These are contests that are targeted to the un-agented and un-published among us.

Be sure to check the page often for updates. I'll also try to sneak updates into regular blog posts, especially for those last minute contests that seem to pop up out of thin air. Of course, if you come across any contests that I don't have listed or have one coming up soon, please feel free to let me know. You can send these to me using the Contact option at the top of the Contest page.

Until then writers, keep your pens to the paper and good luck!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for doing this! I also have a hard time tracking them all down. And how do those contests just pop up out of nowhere? I think it's the same sort of witchcraft that makes single socks disappear when you're doing laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think contests are great for getting feedback from your peers. It can be super helpful - I know it's helped me a lot. However, as the winner of several contests and having sent fulls and partials off to agent/judges, it's just as good to query them on your own, especially if they allow 5-10 pages of the ms w/ the query rather than the pitch or first-250 you're limited to in contests. Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that no one should depend on contests as their only method of contacting agents. The real advantage I see is that sometimes a contest will host an agent who is otherwise closed to unsolicited queries. For anyone who is targeting this super agent, a contest may be the only way to get there.

      Delete

Share the love, man...