Summer Goal Update

Hey there, strangers. Tuesday night we arrived back home from our whirlwind tour of the Midwest. Visiting with family was wonderful but I am glad to be back in my own bed.

Unfortunately, my trip was not as productive as I had hoped. Originally I planned to completely utilize our massive drive time to write. The trip from Texas to Cincinnati is slightly over 24 hours. We broke it up with a hotel stay in Tennessee so it took a bit longer, but you get the idea. Lots of time just sitting in a car. Turns out, I can't write in the car. I started out at a fair pace, but then it all fizzled. Instead of writing I found myself putting in movies, fetching snacks, hunting for toys and entertaining the baby. I did a lot of stuff, but none of it was writing.
Oh, the blankness. It blinds!
 Once we got to our destination I put away the computer and really enjoyed quality family time.

It was great, but my Camp Nanowrimo count stands somewhere around the 7K mark. A far cry from where I should be with only about a week to go. So I'm thinking I won't hit this goal. I'm still going to keep working on this project though and that's the silver lining.

Since getting back I have been high on a productivity binge. I got caught up on critiquing for both my writing groups. This was a massive undertaking since I was several weeks behind from the trip. I also finished editing my anthology piece and sent it in last night. Nine days early! Woot Woot!

So the month of June hasn't been a complete wash, but it wasn't what I hoped for.

Next up on the agenda is Candace Havens Fast Draft class starting on July 7th. I am equal parts excited and terrified about this class. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has prepared to take her class convinced I can't do it. An entire novel in two weeks sounds impossible. Candace says it isn't and she has actual novels to prove her case. As always, you'll get the honest and usually brutal truth right here.

So how is your Summer going so far? Are you hitting your goals? If not, what's your plan to get back on track?

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoy the support you offer to other writers. It is great to know that we are all in the same boat. I've nominated you for a Versatile Blogger award. Check out the details on my latest post http://dumpygrace.blogspot.ca/2012/06/versatile-blogger-award-nominations.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I'm going to check it out right now. :)

      Delete
  2. My summer has been different than I planned too. I'm having a harder time finding writing time. Normally this has never been a problem for me, but everyone is so busy this summer. My daughter is home and my husband's schedule is crazy, which means I don't get my alloted afternoon writing time while he plays with our daughter. Plus, we got a new puppy, which takes a lot of supervision and time. I'm sneaking writing time in everywhere I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're swamped. Good for you for squeezing some time in.

      Delete
  3. I'm behind in my goals, too. I was going to query July 1, but my CPs are behind and so am I. So I aimed for Aug 1, but I'm getting a little tired of pushing myself so hard. I need a break during the summer, gosh-darnit! Maybe Sept 1 will be the new aim-for date. I don't really worry about deadlines. It isn't a race -- it's artwork; it needs to be beautiful and that can't be rushed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about that. Plus, I'm finding that lots of agents have extended the amount of time they usually respond in since it's the summer. And some of the agents I queried have closed their queries for the summer. It won't hurt a thing to wait and make sure you're submitting your best work.

      Delete
  4. Hello! New follower from yalitchat.

    My summer has not been as productive as I'd hoped (and now I'm getting further sidetracked with the endless amounts of material on yalitchat! :) but it's still early, right? I haven't written my summer goals - maybe I should do that before it's over!

    I'm looking forward to reading more - and good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sara, welcome. I definitely recommend writing down your goals. I always get more done that way.

      Also, welcome to yalitchat. It is filled with wonderful resources and even more wonderful people.

      Delete

Share the love, man...