Can I stop marketing yet?

Even though I think it's strange, I get that not everyone enjoys spending their time dreaming up and implementing marketing plans. If you've been reading this blog for any amount of time, I assume you realize I'm a big proponent of launching your book with a strong marketing effort. I guess it's natural at some point for authors to start wondering if it's okay to stop marketing.

So the good news is, you are allowed to stop marketing. You do not have to spend every day for the rest of your lives marketing your book. In fact, if your book has been out for over a month and you haven't written any new words because of all the time you're spending on marketing, it's time to ease back on the throttle.

You need to give yourself a break now and then. Your brain and creative juices need time to focus on other efforts, like the next book. Plus, your followers and fans need a pause as well. It can't always be about your book 24/7. And it doesn't have to be. Case in point, I've been totally slacking in the marketing department this month. Know what? I'm having my best month yet.* You don't have to market all the time to sell books.

*Please don't read that as "Hey, I should stop marketing to sell more books." It doesn't work that way. I promise.

The not so great news is that you can never really stop marketing. Yes, some books reach that famed level of popularity and no longer need promotion because they sell themselves. Do you have any idea how small that portion of the book population is? Infinitesimal. For the rest of us, we need to do what we can to keep our books in front of readers.

That might be guest posts, press releases, reviews, contests, or even getting out the next book. The options for marketing are endless, but the marketing isn't optional. With new books coming out every day, readers have more choices than ever when it comes to what to read. If you put marketing on the back burner, don't be surprised if readers put your book there, too.

2 comments:

  1. I'm on the other side of the spectrum. "Can I start marketing my book now?" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I haven't made to the marketing stage yet. Still writing. ;) Thanks for visiting me on my Blitz Day.. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Share the love, man...