Now what do I write?

First off, I have to apologize. I had a really fun blog planned for today, but I am computer challenged and technology was working against me. I have enlisted the help of my savvy husband and hope to have said fun post  up next week.

Instead, today I am asking for your help.

The novel is done(ish) and I am twiddling fingers waiting for feedback from my beta readers. I have some other, smaller projects to work on in my downtime, but that is not going to be enough. I can't just write nothing so my biggest question is: What do I write next?

A gals gotta write something
The good news is I have a ton of potential ideas floating around in my head. The bad news is I have a ton of potential ideas floating around in my head. Since current novel is the first book in a proposed trilogy, my gut reaction was to get started on book two. I even have some plot outline started. Go me!

But then I got to thinking. What if this book never sells? I'm not sure I'm up for self-publishing it. So if I write the second book, but the first one isn't published then...yeah, you see where I'm going with this.

I was just going to bite the bullet and write it anyway since it was the most intriguing idea in my list. But then...I took a shower. And we all know that's where the muse lives.

The shower muse gifted me a truly awesome idea for a YA Distopian. I'm not even a huge distopian fan, but this idea kicks so much tushy I'm having a hard time saying no.

Now I'm torn. Do I keep with my current momentum and write book two, keeping the faith alive that everyone will want to publish this masterpiece? OR Do I go with something completely different and potentially awesome?

Help! Anyone else wondering about writing book two? Advice from those who have been there? What's the word?

8 comments:

  1. Not an easy one, but if the muse has struck on YA Dystopian, I'd run with the muse. It's always more fun when the inspiration strikes, and you're likely to get the words down easier than the second book - as you'll be half waiting on feedback, and that's never conducive to creativity. That's just me though :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...you might be on to something there. If I write number 2, but make serious changes to number 1 it could negate some of my work. Now I'm leaning back toward the muse.

      Delete
  2. I'd say go with the muse. I don't write series but I wouldn't want to be tied to book two when the future of book one is still in flux. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys pretty much have me convinced with the muse. I guess I better start plotting this sucker out.

      Delete
  3. Been there! I decided to start a new book and while I'm querying this book I'm already getting close to finishing another. ALWAYS have something new to offer and never work on the next one in a series if book 1 is in limbo UNLESS both can be stand alone works. Lol but btw it's dystopian no distopian :) So I'm in agreement with the others--go with the muse! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the spell-check Elizabeth. I am a horrible speller!

      Delete
  4. I've written book two(s) before getting deals for book one. I don't go further than that though. So, I think if you want to write book two, go ahead. But if your YA dystopian idea is really that awesome and it's calling you, then write that. There's really no right or wrong answer. Just write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to plot them both out and then see where the chips fall after that. Thanks for the extra perspective, Kelly.

      Delete

Share the love, man...