Writerly Love

A recent post about giving bad reviews sparked a lot of conversation both on and off line among my writer friends. I'm going to talk about that some more next week. Today I want to talk about the other side of the coin: showing writerly love.

A blog I often read has the phrase 'sharing is caring' by the comments section. This is so true. Commenting on a blog, retweeting someone's post, sharing an article that helped you. These are all easy ways that we can show appreciation for the wonderful writer folks we get to interact with every day.

Here's a timely example. Today, someone I follow tweeted the blog link for someone they follow (who I didn't know). The blog was hilarious! So I retweeted it. The author of the blog liked my tweet so she: favorited my tweet, retweeted it, followed me, and commented on my blog! So now I'm following her and have her blog linked here which hopefully many of you will read. It's the social media equivalent of the circle of life.

And here's the beauty of it all. My followers are introduced to something that may be new to them. Her followers are introduced to me. And the whole thing took less than fifteen minutes.

My new goal is to make sure I am showing writerly love to someone new every day. It can be a tweet of an interesting article, a thoughtful comment on a new blog or a shout out to someone I haven't met. So what are you doing to show writerly love to others? Out of ideas, feel free to tweet this blog post. :)

4 comments:

  1. Yes! I love this sharing and bonding that happens in the writing community. It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really try to share writerly love as often as I can. Sometimes it's not as often as I'd like, but life gets in the way sometimes. But I'll either comment on or tweet a blog post, retweet someone else's tweet, write my own blog post and link to the blog that inspired me, etc. There are so many ways to spread the love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I love that writer's blog. She's totally insane.

    Thanks for the writerly love. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I retweet frequently. You've got to love this community.

    ReplyDelete

Share the love, man...