What I learned from an excessive amount of blogging

Today I have a guest post over on My Name is not Bob with Robert Lee Brewer. I hope you'll go check it out.


If you follow this blog or my twitter account then you already know that I spent the month of July writing a ridiculous number of blogs. One every day actually. I'm kinda tired.

Coffee, stat! Credit

I was hoping that all that writing would help me to learn a thing or two about blogging and I wasn't disappointed. So here's what I learned!

1. There are a lot more blogging topics than I realized.
 My past schedule (pre month long madness) was M-W-F. Plenty of times I struggled to come up with a subject for each post. Forcing myself to blog so much made me write posts on topics I had previously dismissed. Some of them were not great, but I wrote them. This is also a lesson I'm applying to my drafting skills.

2. I need to establish some kind of schedule.
I'm not great at coming up with random topics. My life is just not that interesting. I think I can help myself and provide a better blog for writers like me, by putting a little more structure to my posts. I've already started this with the idea to post my goals and updates on Fridays. I also want to pick a day to share the interesting articles and posts that I read each week. 

3. I do better when I can write several posts at a time.
Like many of you, life has a funny way of sneaking up on me. Too many times, I was up later than I wanted to be so I could fit in a blog post in time. I did my best writing this month when I set aside a chunk of time to write several posts. Knowing that I had a few posts "in the bank" helped ease up the pressure to write and fit my schedule much better.

4. You guys like getting personal.
I get good page views for the informative posts that I write, but my biggest page hits come when I share my personal writing life. At first, I was shocked by this because, as previously stated, my life is not that interested. But I think I get it now. There are so many of us floating out here in the internet working hard and looking forward to the day when our work is read by the masses. Until then, we're desperate to know if what we're doing is going to get us there. Hearing each others stories is like a warm hand to hold.

5.  More posts do drive more traffic.
I'm not sure why this works. There were plenty of days when I didn't 'advertise' my post at all. No Twitter, Google+ or website promotion. And yet, my page views this month hit an all time high. While that's nice information to have, I don't plan to do anything with it. July was a fun challenge and I'm glad I did it, but this blog is still fun for me. I want it to stay that way, so I plan to go back to my old 3x per week schedule. My traffic may take a dip, but I think I'll live through it.

12 comments:

  1. I like having a schedule. It keeps me on track and my visitors know when to except a new post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, getting personal drives traffic, eh? I just posted on my horrible building issues. I guess that's pretty personal. Enjoy your freed-up time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like it's been a rough month. Here's to a better August!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on making it through! I think I'm happy with the MWF posting schedule and with a few exceptions, I've been able to keep it up regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will feel a lot easier after so many posts. :)

      Delete
  4. You're right, I think hand-holding posts are the best. And I love a sense of humor and you always have that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lexa. I love hearing about other writer's journeys.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sarah, we share a guest post at Robert Brewer's blog - I pitched an idea in May and he very kindly accepted my story...happy to hold hand via cyberspace! Maybe take a little rest now, you have really run a writing marathon - good on you! Cheers from Australia, Mar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats, Maribel. Has your post gone up yet?

      Delete
  6. Good day ! Does the rate of updates of your site depend on specific issues or you compose articles when you have a specific mood or write blog posts if you have sufficient time on it? Can't wait to see your answer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brian, great question. I try to post three times a week so I can keep myself on a schedule. It doesn't always happen, but I try. I also try to come up with a list of possible topics several weeks ahead of time so I have things to choose from if one of them doesn't feel inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Share the love, man...