How did I miss that?

I've had a bit of an aha moment in my writing lately. I love learning more about my craft and although there are some great books out there, most of the time I learn the most from others who are in the same boat as me.
Courtesy Eileen Sanda


I recently sent WIP1 through another round of beta readers. I kept getting comments about scenes that felt unfinished. This was a new one for me as none of my other betas mentioned this before. At first I wasn't really sure what to think. So I asked questions.

Turns out I had several spots where the reader wanted the scene to last a little longer. I have places where I stopped mid-scene. I thought I was being a judicious writer. If the plot movement was complete, I ended the scene and let the reader imagine what happened next. I assumed this was the smart way to keep my writing moving at a fast pace.

Apparently I was only succeeding in irritating my readers. When I explained my reasoning, I got some interesting advice. While the rest of the scene wasn't needed to move the plot forward, I was missing big opportunities to further develop my characters.

What? How in the world have I not noticed this before? It makes me wonder what else I've been missing.

I tend to write sparse first drafts. Probably because I'm so anxious to get the story down that I tend to leave out a lot of the non-plot stuff that makes a reader care about a story. I add it in during revision, but I think I've been stingy with my details.

Time to take another look and see if I have more missed opportunities to develop the story.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yοu really maκe іt ѕeem so easy wіth уоuг presеntation but I find
    thіs tоpіc to be аctually somеthing that I thіnk I ωould
    nevеr understаnd. It sеemѕ tοο compliсаted anԁ vеry broad fог
    mе. I'm looking forward for your next post, I'll
    tгy to get the hang of it!
    Take a look at my blog :: loans for bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  4. What i do nоt understοod is actuаlly how you are no longеr actually muсh more neatly-apρreciated
    than you might be right now. You're so intelligent. You understand thus significantly relating to this subject, produced me in my view consider it from numerous numerous angles. Its like men and women are not involved until it is one thing to accomplish with Woman gaga! Your individual stuffs nice. At all times care for it up!

    my site how to stop snoring
    my web site :: how to stop snoring

    ReplyDelete

Share the love, man...