My story won't shut up

I did my absolute best. I wrote a story, let it sit for a month, spent several months pouring over every detail, handed it to my critique partners, edited some more, sent it to Betas and put it through two more rounds of revisions.

I called it done.

And now here I am, two months later, and my story won't stop talking to me.

My characters won't stop talking CC


I wrote the sequel to my story during FastDraft. I never imagined re-awakening my characters would create such havoc in my head. I'm supposed to start editing book two today, but I can't. After all, there's no point working out the finer points when there are changes going on in the first book.

This was my first time writing a sequel so I had no idea to expect this. Is this normal? Has anyone else ever had a story that won't stop clamoring for attention?

4 comments:

  1. I think a sequel can open your eyes to things you could have done better in the first book. My editor for Touch of Death has read the sequel (before we finished edits on Touch of Death) and she had me go back and make changes to accommodate things that occur in book two. Dropping hints, leaving things open, etc. So I can see what you're saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about it from that angle. Of course, now I'm thinking I should just go ahead and draft book 3 so I can make sure to get all the foreshadowing in. :)

      Delete
  2. I wish my characters would talk to me more. Apparently I'm too thick-skinned (or too dumb) to hear them. I write from a place of logic first, art second, but I don't ever have fully-formed characters walking around in my head. I consider you lucky! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Careful what you wish for. I can't remember the last time I took a shower without my characters showing up and playing an entire scene in my head. I swear, if I didn't write, I'd be in a rubber room by now.

      Delete

Share the love, man...