What does a book sale look like to you?


 For those of us still peddling our wares out there in the world of un-agented writers, there is a lot of mystique in what happens next.

Honestly, I'm so focused on my writing and scoring the perfect agent that I don't give much though to the actual process of what happens after that.

crystal ball future
Don't I wish a crystal ball held the answers.


That's not to say I haven't dreamed about the results. In my world, I will find Top Agent who loves my book and provides (a few) smart, insightful edits that make it ah-mazing. She then sells said book in a hotly contested auction that grants me an advance so big I will be slightly embarrassed (as I dance to the bank).

When ah-mazing book comes out I will be on all the top talk shows where people like Ellen gush over my brilliance. When the movie premiers, Seventeen Magazine will run a huge spread including rave reviews and pictures of me looking stunning walking the red carpet.

Sigh. Sorry, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, the reality of a book deal, which clearly has nothing to do with the above scenario unless you are Stephenie Meyers or JK Rowling.

However, the fabulous folks over at YA Highway put together a two-part post on what selling a book really looks like. Spoiler Alert: It isn't anywhere near as glamorous as the scene described above. It is, however, more factually sound.

Check them out here Part 1 and here Part 2.

No matter where you are in your writing career, I think it's a good idea to have a realistic picture of what the process looks like. Cause if you're writing a book for the sole purpose of looking hot in a Seventeen article, this may not be the career path for you.


9 comments:

  1. Drats--seriously? I can't strut my sexy stuff on the red carpet? I was even planning a clothing malfunction and everything! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have a post drafted about my life after my book contract. I keep pushing the post date back for other stuff. Maybe I should post it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, the reality of a pubbed authors life isn't something the newbies among us hear often enough.

      Delete
    2. I agree. This really isn't btw. read part 1. Informative. I'd post if I were you Kelly. I know I'm curious. I'm sure others are as well.

      Delete
  3. Nicely put, Sarah. ;D Dreaming is definitely healthy, but keeping it all in perspective adds the element of safety...for our writing egos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last thing I want is to achieve my dream and feel disappoint because of unrealistic expectations.

      Delete
  4. I'm definitely curious what it's like and I really, really want to find out first-hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with ya. We just have to keep plugging away and eventually we'll get there. :)

      Delete

Share the love, man...