Fast Draft: Check Point.

I've known since I first mentioned participating in Fast Draft that I would write this post. And if I'm completely honest, I was terrified. Especially after my less than stellar performance at Camp Nanowrimo. After Candace posted her rules I went from terrified to near panic mode.

Candace Havens
Candace - striking fear into slow writers everywhere

So in case you missed it, I'm in Candace Haven's Fast Draft class this month and our assignment is to write 5000 words a day, every day, for two weeks.

Now that we're halfway done, it's a good time to let you know where I'm at.

I am pleased to inform you that I have hit my 5000 words every day this week. The support from the other class members is amazing and Twitter sprints have saved me from calling it quits a couple of times. Knowing that I have to post to the group how many words/pages I wrote every day also helps to keep me accountable. I would be mortified to post I had anything less than 5K.

As an extra bonus, I've written more than my quota almost every day so my grand total for the week is.....drum roll please....36,175 words! 

I've been really pleased with my progress and the surprises my characters are throwing at me that I didn't expect. I'm also really excited by how much I'm enjoying the process.

I'm not sure why, but Nano felt a bit like torture to me. I couldn't get the words to flow and nothing in my story was working. But somehow, with a tighter deadline and a higher word count goal, writing is fun again.

I can't wait to get through the rest of this story, and then it's on to Revision Hell. I have no idea what this entails other than fixing the drafts we're writing now. If you asked me last week how I felt about it, I would have said terrified. But now I'm looking forward to it.

8 comments:

  1. I am having the exact same reaction!! Last night at 11pm, I was at 11 pages and I couldn't imagine writing 9 more... but I did. I stayed up until 2am and wrote 12 more. And it was just... surprising. I ALWAYS fail nano. Maybe I'll do it in August, but with Candy's deadline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go, lady! I'm considering picking back up the novel I started for Nano in June and finishing it for August with Candy rules. We'll see though. I don't want to burn myself out.

      Delete
  2. That's wonderful. I need to check ouot this group because I decided last week to write a chapter a day, which comes to between 4 and 5000 words but I'm all alone in this. I did Nano and struggled too, but my self-imposed deadline to finish a 100,000word wip in a mother popped in my head because Summer was dragging me down. Congrats on your accomplishments, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The class setting is definitely a big plus in my book (my figurative book, not the one I'm writing...just to be clear). But you are rocking out, lady!

      Delete
  3. I'm really proud of you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Candace. I'm really proud of me too. :)

      Delete

Share the love, man...