Agency Lessons: A shift in perspective

So I've been holding back some exciting news. Partially, because I already had several weeks of "Agency Lesson" posts scheduled, but also because I needed time to let it all soak in on my end.

So what is this big, fun, exciting news?

I'm an agent!

 I am now officially an Apprentice Agent with Corvisiero Literary Agency and I couldn't be more excited.

If you asked me a year ago what I would be doing right now, I can tell you with all honesty that helping writers find happy homes for their books would not have been my answer. This is truly a case of "never even thought to dream that dream". These past several months have been so amazing, I feel a bit like I hit the literary jackpot without even buying a ticket.

So what exactly does this mean?

As an Apprentice Agent I am working closely with Senior Agent, Marisa Corvisiero. We are working together on a few projects with Marisa's clients so I can see first hand the whole process from signing, editing, pitching and (hopefully) contract. Once I've seen the magic, I'll start taking on clients of my own, but still work closely with Marisa as I get my feet wet.

From an author's perspective, it's really the best of both worlds. My client list will be teeny tiny so I have lots of time to dedicate to each client. Plus, I get all the benefit of a Sr. Agent's knowledge and experience. Win, win!

I share all this to let you guys know that I have really enjoyed these weekly posts and intend to continue them in my new position. I can't quantify how valuable having a front row seat to the inner workings of an agency has been in my own writing pursuits. It's my goal to bring as much of that insider look to you guys as I can. 

I hope you enjoy these posts and are learning lessons that can help you on your own quest to publication. While there will always be things that are confidential, if you have specific questions you'd like to see answered, please leave them in the comments section. I'll try my best to cover all of them in future posts.

Till then, thank you for sticking with me, and here's to continuing to grow as writers and member of the amazing writing community we are all a part of.

30 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Congrats, Sarah! That's such exciting news -- you're going to learn to much. Being an editor would be my dream come true, and I'm so glad you're getting your own dreams fulfilled! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lexa. You know, I'm no spring chicken. It's never too late if you really want to be an editor. :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! A few years ago, I was set on becoming an agent and decided to look for an internship, but then I signed with my agent and got too busy to intern. I think I still might some day though. I think being an agent is an awesome job—extremely tough and time-consuming, but awesome! So happy for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm pretty sure free time is a lost art at my house. :)

      Delete
  3. Congrats! It sounds like a dream job! I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessie. Who knew all those years of reading under my covers with a flashlight would pay off someday. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow - congratulations and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm gonna need a good dose of luck and a lot of learning. :)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! Sounds like a dream opportunity for your career. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. I've loved every minute so far. :)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! Sounds like a dream opportunity for your career. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great news for you and great news for the blog! I'm really happy for you. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I should have even more great insider info to share. :)

      Delete
  8. Wow! Very exciting! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That so amazing! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful and exciting news. Congratualtions on your dream job. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad now there is no more sleep time. ;)

      Delete
  11. Congratulations! That is so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's amazing! So happy for you! Can't wait to see what books/authors you snag up. Time to write you agent wish list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working in the slush these past months has really helped me better identify what I'm looking for. Sometimes, I think it's easy to be specific about what I'm not looking for. :)

      Delete
  13. Oh wow, Sarah! That's awesome! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not only are you an apprentice agent, you're an apprentice agent for a New York agency! I did some googling on your organization, an boy oh boy are you in the publishing business up to your eyeballs. This is such cool news for you, Sarah. If you bring your clients half of the intelligence, insight and devotion you've brought to this blog, to their careers, they'll be quite lucky. Congratulations to you for this next milestone.

    Don't forget to go for drinks at The Algonquin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad I'm not in NY. :( I'm actually based in Texas and do all of my work virtually. With publishing doing so much via email, agents don't really have to live in NY anymore. Of course, I'll be making a trip as soon as I can. :)

      Delete
  15. HOLY CATS!

    That is SUCH good news! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete

Share the love, man...