A Writer's Guide to: Facebook

Last week we kicked off the writer's guide series with Tumblr. Hopefully I wasn't the only one to learn a thing or two. This week I decided to head back into more known territory and take a closer look at Facebook. Many of us use this social media site to connect with distant family members, friends from high school and (in my case) the local mommies group. But Facebook can also be a great place to connect with readers and reach a new audience.

Here's the best of the web when it comes to maximizing Facebook as a writer.


1. duolit
The ladies at duolit have some great ideas for optimizing your Facebook fan page and encouraging others to "like" you.


2. Writer's Relief  Part 1 and Part 2
If you aren't familiar with the idea of a fan page, here's a great guide to the different between a fan page and profile and why you need both. Part 2 is a post on how to convert your current friends into fans.

3. The Creative Penn
An interview with media strategist Amy Porterfield on creating engagement on facebook and optimizing your page as a writer.

4.All Facebook
 This site isn't writer specific, but does share some great tips on avoiding the number one sin of facebook marketing: being boring.

5. Copy Blogger
This page has links to articles that answer specific questions covering a little bit of everything when it comes to Facebook. It would take a whole day to read them all, but probably a good idea to check them out before setting up your page.

And now it's your turn. Do you have a facebook fan page? Share your link with any tips or tricks on maximizing marketing efforts or gaining fans.

17 comments:

  1. An author's work is never done, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my author page. I talk to more people through that one than my profile page. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of good stuff for beefing up a fan page. Thanks. Now I need to finish the book and get it published. pant! pant! pant! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never too early to start building your platform. ;)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for all of the great links and tips. I will most likely revisit this page when it comes time to beef up my Facebook page, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. These tutorials are as much for myself as anyone else.:)

      Delete
  5. I pressed this on my site, should have done the same for the Tumblr one. I follow a lot of writing blogs, but yours is rapidly becoming one of my favorites. You really do know how to provide useful information in a voice that is lovely and fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link love. I'm so glad you like my little slice of the internets. :)

      Delete
  6. So I see that I can comment from my author page, but I don't understand the difference in comment from that page and my page. (I also don't know how to comment from that page).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek, I have no idea. The last page I listed has tons of links. One of them might hold the answer.

      Delete
  7. I do not have a writer's fan page, mostly due to the fact that I don't have a book deal or anything like that. If I did, I'd make one. They're a good way to let fans get updates on what you're doing since most people utilize facebook the most out of social media. I really just never got into facebook, though. My friends always bug me about it, but whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have mine up either. This is one of the social network sites where I think it's okay to wait until after the book deal (but before it hits shelves). :)

      Delete
  8. I'm bookmarking this page for future reference on the off chance that I publish something and need an author's page! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have to have a look at these links later one, thanks! The facebook page I have up at the moment has to do more with my love for reading YA than writing it. When (avoiding if) I get published, I'll have to think about whether I need a new page or I just keep on with this one:
    YA's the Word on Facebook

    Now to edit my first draft :)

    ReplyDelete

Share the love, man...