Building the Buzz: Day 10 Love for the Library

Alright, we're making some progress. Hopefully, word will be getting around town about your book. But don't think you're done with the the hometown business. There is still more to do on the home front. We are staying local and showing a little love to the library.





Library's have a lot more in common with writers than just a love of books. We both operate on low budgets with not enough staff. We both want people to read more. We're both always on the lookout for creative ways to get people reading more.

This is good news, because it sets up a win-win situation.

Libraries love hosting writers, but usually lack the budget to bring someone in from out of town. By volunteering your time to the local library, you provide them with much needed programming while garnering some face time in front of a captive audience.

Just remember, that libraries should be approached just like media agencies. Keep in mind they are there to promote reading, not you. Think about what you can offer their patrons. What about a writing workshop or a seminar on a topic related to your book. Pair this up with a short reading from your book, a Q&A session and a book signing and now you have an event. Work with your publisher, local book store or a company like Book People to make sure attendees can purchase your book on site.

Another way to engage with your local library is to donate a copy of your book. Everyone loves free stuff. If you have any swag like bookmarks. Ask your library if you can leave some at the circulation desk for patrons.

I also recommend checking to see if your library has any book clubs or special interest groups. If you write in a genre that would be relevant to one of these groups, ask if you can do a private author chat with them to discuss your book. It may be only a small group of people, but for 30 minutes of your time you have the chance to create dedicated fans of your work.

For today's task, go make friends with your local librarian. Introduce yourself and your work and ask to set up a time to talk about ways you can help the library.

On an unrelated note, I want to let you guys know about an auction I'm participating in. Here is the link to my item in Brenda Novak's Diabetes Research Auction. There are hundreds of items donated from all over and all the proceeds go to Diabetes Research. Go check it out (after your library visit).

7 comments:

  1. Still sick, but as soon as I'm better, this is the first thing I'm doing. Is there someone in particular we should talk to at the library?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your library has an event coordinator or program director, I would start there. If not, then a quick trip to the circulation desk can probably point you in the right direction.

      Delete
  2. Can you donate an ebook to a library? Can you do a reading from an ebook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine why you can't do an ebook reading. I'm not sure about the donation. You'd need to check with your library on what kind of system they use and how that works.

      Delete
  3. I adored the library in my hometown when I was young! And when I moved to NYC, I made sure I knew where the nearest library branch was. Oh, the good old days of having access to any book I wanted, even the new bestsellers! No libraries around here though. Bummer. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea. I just love my local libraries and they are such a great resource, like you said. I never thought about authors offering to teach courses and things like that for the librairies, but that's a great idea. There are a lot of aspiring authors that frequent the library and I'm sure they'd love that. It kind of reminds me of the YA Give Back Tour that Susan Dennard, Erin Bowman, Kat Zhang, and Sara Maas are hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea. After all the time I've spent working on getting published, and going to a conference, I bet I could do a library "how to" on getting published. But only if I actually sell my book first. Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Share the love, man...