Building the Buzz: Day 13 Author Teamwork

Are you ready to move away from home base? Too bad. We're still local in today's action item. It's time to team up with other authors in your area.

All the things we've talked about this week can be pretty daunting on your own. Especially given the standard issue introverted nature of most writers. The good news is there's no rule that says you have to do it all on your own. Chances are, you aren't the only writer in your town. I live in the middle of nowhere and there are at least two published authors that I know of. There could be more.

If you're uncomfortable at all about launch parties, book clubs or library speeches, consider joining forces with another writer. You may have to go slightly outside your city to find the right author to pair with, but I doubt you'll have to go too far. Unless you really are living alone on an isolated island in the Atlantic Ocean. Have you thought about moving?

Billing yourself as a double feature can be a way to get more attention for your work. I can't imagine any bookstore suggesting they'd rather have two separate events than one single event to bring in twice the readers.

Before you start listing the reasons this won't work for you, just do me a favor and try it. You don't even have to write in the same genre as your partner, though it's nice if you do. A speech about the writing process isn't dependent on genre. Plus, different genres can draw in new audiences who might not have seen your book otherwise.

The only time I suggest sticking solo is with your target first readers. The required unique nature of this group means you don't really want to share them with others. Other than that, collaborate away.

Today's task, look up and contact another writer in your area and discuss hosting an event together.

5 comments:

  1. That's a great idea, just need a complete novel to buzz about at my end ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea. I can think of two published YA authors in my area off the top of my head, and I'm sure there are more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good idea. I've seen lots of groups of authors teaming up to do blog hops and things. But I think it's the Big 5 pubbed ones who get the most attention, although the indies try a lot harder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having more than one author at an event would draw in more people, I would think, since each author would tell her/his friends. Good idea. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really great idea!! I also have a great friend who lives in Vegas who's a writer. If she comes here, or I go there, I could do a spin on this idea and meet her fanbase there and vice versa. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Share the love, man...