A dose of my own medicine


I was just sitting here...at 1am on Friday morning...stressing because I didn't have a blog post scheduled for the day. Then I realized that while I have plans for July on the blog, I have no idea what I'm doing for the rest of June. Which is a problem because next week I'm co-teaching a Writer's Digest Boot camp for submissions (less than 50 seats left!) and doing 100 loads of laundry. Because the week after that we are going on our annual pilgrimage to the Midwest for several weeks and I have a marketing project for you guys I'm trying to get finished before the end of the month.

Add to that I have so many fabulous and talented clients that nearly all of them have a project that is either on submission (requiring monitoring, nudging and so on) or about to go on submission (endless hours of spreadsheets).

So...I'm sitting here in this chair while the rest of my family is in bed knowing that I need blog posts, but not willing to stop working on submissions lists to think about blogging for more than a few minutes. And then it hit me.

I've been talking a lot about balance lately.

Yet, here I am stressing, because I am failing to find the balance. So I've decided to follow my own advice. Specifically, tip#3 from Wednesday, "Not everything is on fire".

If I miss a few blog posts, the world will not end. I'm fairly certain that you won't all hate me. I won't destroy the entire platform I've built over the past several years if the blog is a little quieter for a few weeks than it usually is. This is not a fire.

And now I feel better. Just like that.

Yes, the blog will probably be a little light for these last few weeks of June. I'll jump on and add a post, but only if I have something to say and the time to do it justice. If it doesn't happen very often, I'm not going to stress about it. I will be back full time in July with several fun surprises in the pipeline.

Until then I'm going to find some balance and get a little sleep.

This whole balance thing is great. Tell me something you are willing to let go of this week to find better balance in your life?

5 comments:

  1. In the early 1980s, when I was living in Dubai, I was friendly with a family in Ajman. John was in his 30s, a Christian missionary, and wise well beyond his years, I learned a lot from him. One thing that he said was: "You should write a book, Keith," immediately followed by, "but make sure you have something to say, first."
    That was good advice and bad advice. Good advice, because it stopped me writing (just) anything; bad advice because it stopped me writing anything (at all).
    I stick to it, though, because I do not want to put into a public space anything that says nothing. 'Ars gratia artis' may work for some, but 'verba gratia verborum' doesn't do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take some time off if you need to, Sarah! We'll be waiting for your posts when you settle down. Oh, and congrats on co-leading a boot camp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you found the balance. :) Everyone will definitely still be here and waiting for your emails (that's how I read most of your posts). :) I would let go of cleaning house - but we have company coming. :( and :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed a blog post on my Ashelyn Drake blog after BEA and at first I panicked. Then I realized the world still went on as usual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been racking my brain for what to do on the blog once Query Kombat ends. Maybe a short break from blogging would be a good thing for me. Everyone needs a break now and then.

    ReplyDelete

Share the love, man...