Author Endorsements

I'd like to make a public admission: I hate asking other people for anything.

I know, I've talked about this on here before. Where it's okay to reach out to others, and the worst that can happen is they say no, and yada yada.

But here's the thing. I have super tough skin. In fact, I'm almost looking forward to my first 1-star review so I can wear it like a membership badge. I'm not at all concerned about feeling the pain of rejection if authors turn me down.

My reluctance comes from not wanting to be a pain in the arse. I realize just how busy authors are. There are no free minutes. At least not for any of the authors I know.

But I also know these truths:
1. Authors are generally nice people.
2. If someone asked me for a blurb, I'd be honored, and would accept if it worked in my schedule.
3. Authors are still readers. Not just because they like it, but because they need to stay up to date with the market, too.

Armed with these truths, I have set forth to solicit author blurbs. The good news is this has been a friendly blog for authors for quite a while. I did a quick scan of my archives and came up with a pretty nice list of authors I have featured right here.

Not all of them are a good match, and I think this is important for authors to recognize. Yes, there is something to be said for having a line from someone who has "author of X" after their name. It gives you instant credibility thanks to their status as an author. However, if none of the authors you quote are writing for your audience, these are not going to be the most helpful to you.

So, I'm not asking for blurbs from anyone I don't feel has an overlapping market with mine. We might not write in the exact same space, but I'm only asking for blurbs from authors whose audience is similar to my own.

But, there's no need to waste a good connection. For the authors who don't match my audience, I'm checking out their platforms to see if there is a way we can continue working together.

I'm also going to reach out to a handful of authors who I have not featured here, but that I know better than a casual hi on the internet (gulp). This makes me nervous, as some of these folks are big names. If they can't do it, I won't be hurt or offended, but if they can...Let's just say you will absolutely hear about it. :)

Now, a word on blurbs. For this first book, there won't be any mention of these blurbs on the actual book. Maybe if I adjust the ebook backmatter at some point I will add them in, but for now they won't be there. So what am I going to do with them? For now, these will go on my Amazon listing.

Did you know there is a place on Amazon for editorial reviews. This is where people add the nice things said by place like Kirkus and Publisher's Weekly. But I don't have those, because they cost money if you self-publish and I don't feel like that's a good use of my limited funds. But you can put anything you want there. So that's where I'll put author blurbs.

Like reviews, this is just one more piece of social validation that hopefully convinces readers that my book is worth their hard earned cash and time.

7 comments:

  1. I can't give an author endorsement, but I can feature your book on a post or something when it does come out, if you'd want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely get where you're coming from re: asking for help & I know you (and so many others) are not alone. There seems to be two types of authors/writers. Those that bombard & become annoying pains and those that struggle to ask for a little help from people who are more than willing to offer it. OK, there's probably three, those that know *that* magic formula for not only asking but also getting the balance right. For what its worth, I cannot think of a single person who has followed you here or on Twitter or on FB who would not be willing to help if (as you say) schedule allows and everything 'matches' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm pretty much running on nerves and caffeine these day so your kind words mean so much to me. Big internet hugs. :)

      Delete
  3. I'd be glad to read and blurb it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had your tough skin, but you're absolutely right about those three truths. Authors actually love to help each other, and I help other authors/writers as much as I possible can, too. I feel the same as you, though...I hate asking others for anything.

    I have a feeling you'll get many great endorsements. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before I wrote, I was involved in a lot of performance art. Between all the auditions and performances, I had to have tough skin or quit something I love. I think every author who eventually puts their work out for the public has tough skin, because that takes guts. And thanks for the kind words. :)

      Delete

Share the love, man...