Blogging from A to Z: Leave Behind Books

Blogging from A to Z is a month long challenge to post every day of the month (excluding Sunday) using a different letter of alphabet. This month I'm sharing unusual book marketing tips as part of my Marketing From The Edge Series.
Leave Behind Books

Know what rocks? Free books! So how would you feel if you opened up a book set on the side table of a doctor's office and discovered it was a free book for whoever wanted it? I'm thinking pretty excited.

I talked about the power of free yesterday, but that doesn't have to be an exclusive opportunity on Amazon. If your book is in print, you have the opportunity to give away free books whenever you want (and your bank account supports it). And this is where the leave behind book comes into play. 

The idea is pretty simple, you leave a copy of your book in random places, wherever you think your readers are hanging out. To make it easier to spot, put a sticker on the front that says "Free Book".  Hopefully, some lucky reader will find it, read it and love it. But don't stop there.

This free book can be an amazing marketing opportunity. Consider the possibilities if you put another sticker on the inside cover. It would read something like this.

Congrats on finding free book #10. I hope you will read it and love it. If you do love it, I'd love for you to add a review to (link to Amazon or Goodreads). When you're done, add your name and location to the list below and then either pass this book along to a friend or leave it somewhere fun for another reader to find. 

I love to hear from my readers. If you'll send me an email to (your email address) including a picture of you with the book, where you found the book, and/or an update on all the places the book has been, I'll add your picture to the "Reader Hall of Fame" on my website. 

Enjoy,
Your signature

You've just created an ongoing interaction with your readers that encourages them to become fans, interact with you and spread the word. Plus, if a reader sends you their picture, they are going to be drawn to your website to see it. This exposes them to your other books and your mailing list. All for the price of one paperback book. Imagine if you put out ten books, twenty, fifty. The possibilities are endless. Even if you can't afford a ton of books, one or two can create a lot of buzz if they fall into the hands of the right readers.

7 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! I'm going to have to do this. Thanks, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an intriguing idea! It never would have occurred to me to try this. It sounds like it would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can hardly wait til I can utilize this tip!
    Marlene at On Writing and Riding

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea if done correctly. Free books are fun and how exciting to find one by a burgeoning author.
    You might enjoy a blog post written by a 90 year old friend of mine who unsuccessfully tried this tactic and others. Funny reading at: Author Relapsed Recovering

    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea so much! I'm going to work on it today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Share the love, man...