Blogging from A to Z: Podcasts

Blogging from A to Z is a month long challenge to post every day of the month (excluding Sunday) using a different letter of alphabet. This month I'm sharing unusual book marketing tips as part of my Marketing From The Edge Series.
Podcasts

Yesterday I talked about converting your G+ On Air Hangout into a podcast, but I didn't really go into what that is or how you can use it.

A podcast is similar to an online radio show, but instead of "tuning in" to a website, you can download it from places like the iTunes store. I've seen them as short as 5-10 minutes, but my current favorite regularly lasts over an hour. Because I can listen to them through my phone, I tend to play them while I'm running errands, cleaning the house or cooking dinner. I tend to listen for the information or entertainment value, but the host gains visibility for their current projects and a medium for announcing new books.

There are some podcasts that are done extremely professionally, with high tech microphones, dedicated entrance and exit music, voice over and the whole nine yards. I tend to prefer the ones with lower production value since they tend to be more laid back, as if I'm eavesdropping on someones really interesting conversation.

The good news is there are a ton of tools out there that make it easy to produce your own podcast for little to no money. And your podcast can really be about anything. 

 I think the best way to figure out if creating a podcast is right for you is by listening to a bunch. Here are several book, publishing or marketing related podcasts to get you started.

Or check out this BookBuzzr article that lists dozens of podcasts for authors by category.

And never fear. If the idea of creating your own podcast sounds like a form of medieval torture, you can reach out to the many existing ones that frequently feature authors. This can be a great way to increase exposure.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! I'm going to see how I can be apart of a podcast show. Thanks, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to see how I can be apart of a podcast show. Thanks peluang usaha kecil sampingan , Sarah!

    ReplyDelete

Share the love, man...