The Fun of Writing

On Monday I talked about how much work it is to query agents and I'll admit I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. However, all is not doom and gloom over here in my little slice o' Texas.

While I'm scrambling to write eight versions of a synopsis that may or may not blow huge chunks, I'm also floating on the new project high. You know the one, where all the possibilities are endless.


I've yet to write a single word intended for reader eyes, but I've filled pages of notebooks with ideas and plot lines, character sketches and back story. I'm loving it.

I'm also trying something new this time round. I've created a Pinterest board for my book. Right now it has clothing and character inspirations, but over time I hope to add scene backdrops and other interesting stuff. I like the idea of having a visual inspiration to go to when the new project high wears off and the dear-god-will-someone-please-tell-me-how-to-write-this-scene panic sets in.

I'm also considering a play list since this will be my first dystopian and I want to make sure I hit the mood just right.

So I have three questions for you today.
1. Do you use Pinterest or other collection method to gather inspirational pictures for your books? If you'd like to share your link below with everyone please feel free. I love snooping in other people's heads.
2. Do you use play lists for your novels? Feel free to share those as well.
3. Since I'm more of a classic country kind of girl, what bands or artists would you recommend I check out to start my dystopian play list. If it helps, this is a girl takes on the establishment kinda book.

Thanks for sharing y'all!

15 comments:

  1. Okay, you talked about your pinterest board, but then you didn't link us up...LINK PLEASE!!

    I have several pinterest boards for writing...my main one for the trilogy I'm writing is http://pinterest.com/snowchris/my-book-inspiration-operation-series/

    I also keep a board for hero/heroine photos...as well as for several other books I am working on at any given time.

    Dystopian, hmm?? I want to hear more about this project, although I finished The Watchers last night and NEED the next installment NOW!

    Bands to check out... Breaking Benjamin, Apocolyptica, Bullet for My Valentine...

    smiles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the link, although there isn't much in there yet.http://pinterest.com/newnego/acceptance/

      Thanks for the band suggestions, and I promise I'll let you know when the next installment of Watchers is ready to go. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm not yet on Pinterest-I'm afraid that would use scary-huge chunks of my time, since I'm such a visual person. BUT I do tear out photos from magazines that look like my main characters. I post them up by my desk. It helps to picture them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be a time sucker. I like that I can pin things to a board without logging on to the site so I'm distracted by all the shiny stuff everytime I add something.

      Delete
  3. What a great and fun idea! I haven't figured out Pinterest yet or what it can do for me- but this is a fun thought. Love both yours and Christi Snow's story boards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca,
      I've been on the site for a while, but I've just started using it. It's the big buzz right now though so I figured it was worth a try.

      Delete
  4. Cowboy Cassanova...great song and really gets you in the mood for some dark or sexy and fun scenes! :) That's what I've been using for some...well fun scenes lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny, Elizabeth. I write YA so I don't think I'll be having very many "fun" scenes in my book. :)

      Delete
  5. New ideas are the best! Believe it or not, I use Pinterest and make playlists after I write the manuscript. LOL. Backwards, I know. I just finalized my playlist for Touch of Death, and actually, it's perfect. Why? Having already written the books, I know the songs suit it best. I could have done my pinboard ahead of time, and probably will for other novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess whatever works. I used a playlist for my last book, but more for just help to get in the mood for certain scenes. I don't have one for the whole thing, but that would be an interesting project/distraction now that it's done.

      Delete
  6. I have playlists for everything: overall story, characters, settings, mood, themes. I also use Pinterest for visual inspiration and Polyvore to create outfits for my characters. It's a sickness! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a sickness...it's dedication to the craft! :)

      Delete
  7. Sarah,
    For the music, have you tried Slacker radio and then building a station around a particular song, album or artist?
    I don't know if you are wanting dystopian music like Metallica's "The Unforgiven" or Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto, but you can also do a song from a soundtrack - maybe Aeon Flux? And, it will build a playlist from that. I've done one for Jerry Goldsmith - composer for soundtracks like Alien and Total Recall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Melinda. I haven't heard of Slacker radio. Is it like Pandora?

      Delete
    2. I like slacker better. Less ads, more variety of music within the stations - less repeats.

      Delete

Share the love, man...