I will not freak out. I will not freak out. I will not...

So...tomorrow is kinda a big day for me. Why, you ask? My goodness, you are nosy. But I'm gonna let it slide and tell you anyway.

Tomorrow is the first day, ever, that I am purposely letting a literary professional look at my work. That's probably not quite the mind-blowing announcement you thought it would be, but I gotta be honest. I'm freakin' out a little.


Oh, I've shared my work for sure. My critique partners and Beta readers have red-inked my MS into oblivion. I've posted pages, queries and a synopsis on YALITCHAT. But all those eyeballs were folks just like me. Writers/Readers. None of them had the power to say "This rocks, let me sell your book" or conversely "Get thy novel to the nearest trash receptacle".

All that changes tomorrow when I put my pitch on twitter as part of #WVTP (Writer's Voice Twitter Pitch). Two official agents (and probably a smattering of agent lurkers) will read my tag line and hopefully *rubbing rabbit's foot while simultaneously crossing fingers and caressing someone's bald head* request pages.

While I realize that tag lines do not a career make, getting an agent's attention is the first step on the long road of publication. I am also aware that two agents don't make great odds so I plan to *gulp* send my first round of query letters on Monday. Ahhhhhhhhhh!

I like to consider myself a fairly confident person, but all this exposure is starting to get to me. I'm afraid all this fear is going to get the best of me. "That suggests that what you fear most of all...is fear itself. This is very wise." Why thank you, Remus.

Still, I'm determined to do this. I'm putting on my big girl panties and pouring a big glass of wine. This great Writer's Digest article gave me some wonderful tips on how to harness that fear.  I will silence those voices taunting me and with some degree of composure I will hit the "Send" button. Lord help me!



18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly. Coffee is helping but we'll see how I feel tomorrow. :)

      Delete
  2. Be brave! No agent has the chance to like you until you put yourself out there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessie. My personal mantra is "To accept praise, I must also be open to criticism". I've been chanting it a lot this week.

      Delete
  3. You go, Sarah! You have work for them to look at - I'm still trying to get that far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you'll get there, Elizabeth. Just keep going!

      Delete
  4. Eat a good breakfast Monday; the queasiness of sending query letters may last a few hours or days or weeks..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauri, you make it sound like the first trimester of pregnancy. :)

      Delete
  5. Sarah, you crack me up! lol Wishing you the very best of luck and may the rabbit's foot and bald head get you some requests!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lexa. I've decided to wish on a few stars tonight too..better safe than sorry. :)

      Delete
  6. see you there sarah! thanks for all of your help with my pitch!

    jessica (j. smith)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck! Where you in the Writer's Voice contest too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, those spots filled up like hotcakes and apparently I don't type fast enough. :) Thankfully, anyone can be a part of the twitter pitch.

      Delete
  8. My pleasure, Jessica. It's gonna be crazy. Pretty sure I won't be sleeping much tonight. :)Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to hearing more about this experience. Yes, it's nerve-wracking and dangerous to the ego. But just look at it as another step to getting published.... :+)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have to take that first step sometime. I'll be sure to update on the pitch session tomorrow.

      Delete
  10. Fingers crossed for you!! And I totally understand the freak-out. Sending your work to critique partners is nothing like sending it to an industry professional, so freaking out is completely understandable. The first time is the hardest, and then you'll get feedback and learn from your mistakes, and it'll get easier. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tabitha. I'm feeling a strange calm this morning, but that may dissipate in about 45 minutes. :)

      Delete

Share the love, man...