Day one: in the record books

Yeah! If your reading this, you survived your first day of fast draft. Unless you've figured out a way to read blog posts from beyond the grave. If that's the case, good luck in your Ghost Writing career. :)

I couldn't help myself! Source


Do you feel awesome, exhausted, or both?

I hope you feel motivated. Even if you didn't quite hit your word count goal. Hopefully you learned some ways to get more words in so you can power through today.

The key to hitting your goal is to keep going. Fast drafting is a bit like dieting. Just because you fell of the wagon once doesn't mean you call up Domino's delivery and eat ice cream from the carton. And if you had an awesome day, just think of how much closer you are to your end goal.

No matter day one looked like for you, recognize the fact that you have more words written today than you did yesterday morning and that's a good thing. So jump back in and keep writing!

My word count:
Goal: 5000
Actual: 5114 Wohoo!

So, how'd you do?

6 comments:

  1. Oops, sorry for the early post.

    Our word count:
    Goal: 4000
    Actual: 3100

    I'm feeling confident right now, but I didn't have to work yesterday. I'm just leaving my manuscript open and when I get to, I'll write. In an ideal world, I could hide away in my special writing cabin far from the world and pound out a hundred thousand words in a few days. In reality, get what I can when I can.

    And by the way, I want pizza now. Not that I don't always want pizza, but I want it NOW, with ice cream. Thanks Sarah. If I had been on a diet, you would have ruined it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job you guys!
    Goal: 2k
    Written: 2009 :)

    About to feed the baby and start for today :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was bad guys. Really bad. I was surrounded by college tailgaters and beer pong (made writing hard). When I finally got homework done the urge to write was gone. I went through my plot outline index cards and started trying to pick scenes to write. I kept deleting words as I'd start.

    Basically, I think I need to write this story out of order (crap) because something about their date is so not working for me. Or maybe I should scrap that. AND now, is when the urge to tweak the completed WIP is hitting me. It's like I can't win. Basically, hopefully today is better and more productive day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work, guys! Hang in there Elizabeth. Remind yourself that it will be easier to tweak the completed MS after you've written something else and created more distance. And stop deleting words! Accept the crappiness of the first draft and move on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goal: 5000 words
    Actual: 2865 words

    I plan to do better today towards my 5000 word goal, because I'm going to say no to my inner-editor and just write!

    Good job everyone!
    smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterday was about 1700 words (I had some family visiting, so I'm happy I was able to get that much done without ignoring everyone and locking myself in my room!) I'm going to shoot for 2k today, and then at least 3k during the weekdays. We'll see how that goes. Congrats on hitting 5k on day 1, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete

Share the love, man...