Finding lost time

The most common reason  fellow writers cite for why they don't write more is time. I hear this everywhere, including coming from my own mouth.

There are all kinds of things we can do as writers to find those extra minutes in the day. Things like turning off the TV or ignoring the internet. The one that always sounds good, but never end well for me is getting up early. The issue I have with these solutions is that I have to give someone up in order to utilize them, and that can be hard to do. There I said it, I like the internet.

So here's an easy tip that doesn't mean giving up any of the writing excuses you already cling to: a voice recorder.

Source


Most of us spend hours each day on mindless tasks that require both hands, and prevent any writing. Cooking dinner, folding the laundry, driving to work, come to mind but there are tons of others. So why waste this time?

Instead, invest in a digital voice recorder, or even better use the one on your smart phone, to "write" your novel. Just set it down on the counter, passenger seat or couch cushion and dictate away.

"But, Sarah...," you say in that awful whiny voice we writers tend to adopt when someone suggests something that makes too much sense to ignore. "people will think I'm crazy if I spend all my time talking to a voice recorder."

True, but here's a news flash. You write stories about the imaginary people who live in your head. You passed crazy a long time ago.

Fast draft update:
Yesterday's goal: 5K
Actual result: 527, I tried to write through a migraine but gave up an hour in. I'm hoping after sleeping most of the day yesterday, today is sunnier. :)

14 comments:

  1. I have an old voice recorder and I'll give this a whirl! Can't hurt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my theory. I wish I had taken my own advice yesterday. :)

      Delete
  2. Voice recorder yeah! So giving this a shot. PLUS Nazarea recommended downloading a writing app, which I merely copy and paste into my email and email myself with and then I have shiny new words! For androids it's called Writer & for iPhone it's called Pages. :D

    Goal:
    2,500
    Reached:
    240

    Exam was yesterday. SO much cramming and reading and studying my brain hurt. Hoping today is a better day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't technology grand. Now go get your write on. :)

      Delete
  3. I love my digital voice recorder. It's a great way to find time everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I used it all the time to make notes to myself, but it took me a while to figure out that I should be using it to actually write. :)

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't write anything without the app on my phone :)
    Check in:
    Goal: 2k
    Written: 2k on the nose :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wohoo, two days in a row of goal awesomeness. You're on a roll now!

      Delete
  5. Good idea, though I am very attached to writing stuff on scraps of paper!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very good idea, especially for when I don't have my notebook nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good ideas, Sarah. And don't get hung up on not reaching your goals every single day. You're writing and making progress -- that's the important thing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I especially like "you passed crazy a long time ago" :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, funny post. Hope you are feeling better today.

    Let's see -- yesterday was only about 2k. I picked up a new tutoring students who needs help in anatomy, which means I've been spending lots of time reviewing (it's been ages since I took the class). But I am getting lots of fun inspiration...

    I've also come to the realization that hitting 2k words a day is actually really doable, no matter how crazy my schedule is. I think I might end up doing a 'medium-paced drafting' as a default to keep up my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goal: 4733
    Written: 290

    Bethany had a death in her family. I am going to try to catch up this weekend.

    I just found out that a friend of mine has Dragon voice program for me. I might be writing my book via voice. I don't like the sound of my voice though.

    ReplyDelete

Share the love, man...