Whose ready to get their write on?


I am so excited by how many people are going to start fast draft next week. It really is more fun when you know there are others out there doing the same thing (and expecting you to keep up). We're starting next Saturday, the 15th, so there's still plenty of time for anyone else who wants to get in on the action.

Source

Starting Saturday, I'll post every day (eek!). These will probably be short post with words of encouragement and pictures of chocolate and caffeine to keep us going. Pop in every day to update the comments section with the number of words or pages you wrote the previous day. You can also feel free to post on your own blog and comment here with a link. Just make sure you have a public place where people are expecting to see your numbers. :)

Then write away! Set a daily goal for yourself. I recommend 5K words or 20 pages (this is also what Candace Havens recommends in her class), but you can choose whatever goal works for you. Keep in mind, the higher the goal the faster you finish.

Until then, make sure you're ready to get your write on. Of course, this means shaping up that outline and going over your character notes. As a side note, I don't think I could do a fast draft without an outline, but do whatever works for you.

Outside of writing prep, make sure you have personal stuff prepped as well. Go to the grocery store and make sure you have plenty of food in the house for meals. Don't forget about late night fuel and motivation treats. Last time I bribed myself with a piece of quality chocolate each time I hit my daily goal.  You should also use this time before we start to pay the bills, clean your house and get your calendar set up. Do as much as you can now so you have fewer things to worry about when you're writing.

That's it! Until then writers!

15 comments:

  1. That's quite an undertaking! Wish I could do something like that - maybe someday when I'm self-employed. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always work on a reduced word count. :)

      Delete
  2. I can barely breath on the weekends let alone write with all my kids' activities. But I will surely participate during the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! In my opinion any commitment is better than none. :)

      Delete
  3. I WANT to do this. But school just started...but I want to. Hmm. I may have to shift some things around and omit specific days but this may just be doable... (and I don't ever write 70k novels ;) --so yay for lesser word counts!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it, do it! Like I told Sara, you can always work with a reduced word count goal and SA isn't going to participate on the weekends.

      The goal of this isn't to wreck your life and get you in trouble for the sake of writing. However, having these daily goals sometimes opens our eyes to how much time we do have in our day that we spend on less productive activities :)

      Delete
    2. Okay I'm going to do it--I can't write Thursdays (like at all) but I'll try to see what kind of schedule I can pull off :) Oh man I just agreed to this!

      Oh crap. AND I'm being bad bc I'm sick and bored so I'm buying the new Sims 3 expansion (don't judge--I'm sick at home w. Netflix and cold meds) Hopefully, the new factor goes away by the 15th ;)

      Delete
    3. I released streamers in the air to celebrate your commitment. :) Now rest up and get better so you can write. Of course, strong meds might decrease inhibitions and increase your word count. I'm just sayin'.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Marysue! We're going to need cheerleaders. :)

      Delete
  5. I will cheer you on from the sidelines, as I simply need to write between the times I teach during the week. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm fast drafting now. I hit 15k on day one but have gone down hill thanks to edits I had to get done too. Yesterday was 12K and so far today is just under 6K. I'm hoping to get in another 5K before bed. My goal was to be at 45K by the end of today (day 3) but that's not going to happen. I'm aiming for 38K now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a drafting superstar! Go, Kelly, go! Of course with all those contracts you've got, you probably have to write that fast just to keep up. :)

      Delete
  7. I applaud your dedication and fast fingers! If I wasn't knee-deep in revisions, I'd be right there with you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Share the love, man...