Motivating your writing

Yesterday I talked about making sure your characters have the proper motivation. Today, I'm asking if you have the right motivation.

I'm not talking big picture, are you writing for the right reasons kind of thing. I talking about daily motivation to sit your butt in the chair each day and pound out words.

Mmmmmm...chocolate! Source
 Last time I did a fast draft, I rewarded myself with some quality chocolate each day I hit my goal. At the end I got a mani/pedi finished draft reward.

This time I am rewarding myself with a good book. Each day I finish my word count I get to read another chapter in a book I've had on my TBR pile for a while. And when I'm done, I'm heading south to the Austin Teen Book Festival where I plan to buy more books and fangirl a bit.

What about you? Do you have daily rewards for good writing behavior? To quote Sheriff Woody, "If you don't have on, get one!"

Fast Draft Update:
I know several of you just started in on the fun yesterday, so welcome to the party!

Day 3 results:
Goal: 5000K
Actual: 3418K
I'm pretty bummed that I didn't hit my goal today. I had a big stump spot today that I just couldn't work around. I finally got it at the end of the night and pushed through to get close. Hopefully, tomorrow is a better day.

How are you guys doing?

8 comments:

  1. Morning Sarah! Sheesh I swear your posts are like reading my thoughts! Stumps have befallen me a bit, BUT when I got stumped I just moved on to the novel I'm revising and things went smoothly and I got a super funny/sexual tension-y scene. (I LOVE those). Although my word count was kind of low I still consider yesterday a total success. I have everything totally worked out to fix the plotting issues on my revision manuscript and if the scene I wrote yesterday is any indication...well, this is gunna be fun :)

    Day 3 Check-in
    735 Words outa 2,500
    But again studying my butt off for an exam I'm nervous about--also again today and cramming chapters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got some great revising work done. Keep at it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Day three:
    Goal: 2k
    Written: 2139

    I motivate myself with books. Chocolate. And if I finish this draft on time, I'll get to take our fall family vacay without taking work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go Nazarea! I hope you enjoyed your chocolate and reading with a successful day.

      Delete
  4. Day Three:
    Goal: 4318
    Written: 914 (All Bethany)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give Bethany a hi-five next time I see her. :) Keep at it. :)

      Delete
  5. I actually met my 3k goal today (3,334, to be exact). Woo hoo!. Let's see if I can do that again tomorrow... and the next day... and the next... lol.

    I reward myself with books, too! I just finished 'The False Prince' today, and I think tomorrow I'm going to reward myself with pieces of 'Wishing Moon'. Nothing like the promise of a good story to keep me on track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to meet and exceed! Great job and good choice on reward. False Prince is in my TBR pile.

      Delete

Share the love, man...