Platform Pick-Up: Email pt. 1

Alright, last week of the Platform Pick-Up. To finish we've tackled social media, book centric sites, and your blog. For the finale, let's get your email working for you instead of against you.

I'm not gonna lie. Today's task is kinda brutal, but it will be so worth it when you're done.

Oh, Lord! What do you want me to do?
Today I want you to go through your current inbox (for any and all accounts you have) and unsubscribe from any of the emails you aren't opening anymore. I sign up for all kinds of mailing lists. Sometimes I want to check out a free offering or I've found someone new online I want to check out more. The problem is that my inbox is then flooded with emails. Some of the helpful, others not.

Maybe it's not an email you want anymore, or you could have just outgrown the particular audience of the content creator. Regardless of the reason, if you're like me you probably have tons of emails that you don't even open.

So what's wrong with just deleting them?
Unsubscribing is sometimes a pain so we usually just click delete and ignore these, but they are taking up time and attention that is wasteful to your schedule. I didn't notice it as much until I found myself with three email accounts to manage. I don't get to check all of them every day. Sometime I log in and find pages of unread email newsletters. Not only is this a time suck, but it also makes it more likely that I'll miss an important email.

Just do it.
Take the time today to open these emails, scroll to the bottom (usually) and unsubscribe. You might have to click a few buttons to complete the unsubscribe, but you'll be glad you did once you see how much less email you get over the next few days.

Also, in case you missed it, I posted my first Q&A video on Saturday. Check it out if you want to see me be all kinds of awkward. :)

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful idea! It will require some Saturday morning when my husband is feeling especially motivated in the parenting department, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great suggestion. I've done this with some of the ads/political e-mails I got but I should do this with my writer newsletters too. Will have to go back and read your other series when I get some time.

    ReplyDelete

Share the love, man...